- Dogfish Head was founded in 1995 in Rehoboth Beach, DE by a husband and wife team, Sam and Mariah Calagione.
- The brewery is named for a geographical formation in coastal Maine where Calagione spent summers as a kid.
- Once the smallest craft brewery in the US, Dogfish Head rose to become the 13th largest brewer in the US before being acquired by Boston Beer in 2019.
- The partnership with Boston Beer was first discussed owner-to-owner between Calagione and Jim Koch at the Beer Advocate Extreme Beer Festival; the two felt the brands had a natural affinity.
- Dogfish Head is beloved among craft beer enthusiasts for being one of the earliest adopters of “extreme” brewing; making ultra-hoppy IPAs and experimenting with , unusual ingredients well ahead of their time.
60 Minute IPA
- Continuously hopped IPA
- 6% ABV I 60 IBU
- Pungently grassy, citrusy hop flavor without being crushingly bitter
- Surprisingly sessionable IPA for the craft enthusiast
- Untappd: 3.85/5 BeerAdvocate: 91 points
What does continuously hoppped mean? Glad you asked. Another Dogfish Head innovation, continuous hopping means adding hops to the beer throughout the entire 60, 90 or 120 minute duration of the boiling process. Doing so unlocks big hop flavors and aromas without developing too much bitterness.
90 Minute IPA
- Continuously hopped DIPA
- 9% ABV I 90 IBU
- Rich pine & citrus hop aromas with a strong malt backbone
- Esquire magazine called it “perhaps the best IPA in America.”
- Untappd: 4.06/5 BeerAdvocate: 95 points
Sea Quench Ale
- Thirst-quenching session sour
- 4.9% ABV I 140 cal
- Mash-up of a crisp Kolsch, a salty gose and a tart Berliner weisse
- Citrusy-tart union of black imes, lime juice and sea salt
- Untappd: 3.71/5 BeerAdvocate: 87 points
- The original lo-cal IPA
- 4% ABV I 95 cal. I 3.6g carb
- Monkfruit creates balance without adding calories
- Ultra-drinkable hazy golden IPA with notes of coconut, mango, citrus
- Untappd: 3.5/5 BeerAdvocate: 82 points
Sun Day Feels
- Super summery Beermosa sou
- 6.5% AB
- Brewed with wine grapes, blood orange juice and peach puree
- Received the highest scores of all R&D beers in summer 2019
- Available May – Aug.
- Grateful Dead hazy IP
- 5.2% ABV I 35 IB
- Unfiltered IPA made with spelt and special yeast to accentuate the hops
- Bursting with tropical fruit notes & juicy citrus
- Untappd: 3.85/5 BeerAdvocate: 90 point
Liquid Truth Serum
- Blissfully inefficient IPA
- 7% ABV I 65 IBU
- Uses a unique process involving whole leaf, liquid, pelletized and powdered hops
- Light & crisp with notes of ctirus & pine
- Untappd: 3.86/5 BeerAdvocate: 90 points
- Eight-ingredient gose
- Uses prickly pear, mango, boysenberry, blackberry, raspberry, elderberry, and kiwi juices as well as toasted quinoa for vibrant red brew that’s tart and refreshing
- Untappd: 3.66/5 BeerAdvocate: 85 points